Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Our 2nd Church Fire Experience

The early morning hours of June 29, 2012 I received a phone call from son about 2:40 am that our church building was on fire! He received the call from Tolleson police department to contact the church and let them know. I then made a few calls to our Bishop and Stake President Counselor (Stake President was out of town).  After that point I told Curtis. We could not sleep after that. I kept texting our son to find out what the status was.  The next two photos are just two of the ones he sent us.   Boy did this bring back memories! 

It was July 23, 1983 when our chapel in San Manuel, Arizona burned down due to a lightning strike.  I went to that fire at 1:00 am thinking we could do something to help put the fire out...pass buckets of water...SOMETHING!

 This is when the chapel of the Tolleson building burst into a fire ball
after the firefighters thought it was put out! They were packing up when it exploded!

This is from another angle. You can see the steeple and sign on the
front of the building are not harmed!  The ATF did a full investigation
 and it was arson caused.
So recently we had a meeting where our Stake President came and gave us an update. Because we have three large wards that meet at the Tolleson Bldg we were going to be getting the larger model of the Heritage Style chapel. There are four types (differing roof slopes, color of brick) but this is the closest one to the color of the brick we had...so we are hoping this is the style we get. They have completely removed everything from the building that was salvagable, so now we should be seeing bulldozers soon.  I can't wait to see, and attend in our new building. If all goes well, we should be in it within 18 months or less.

1 comment: