Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

San Diego Fun Time

I just got back into town last night. I have spent the last 5 days in San Diego to the National School Board Association Conference. I was the only one from our district to go (save money) and I had some really great experiences. I am only going to list a few.
I stayed at the Sophie Hotel in San Diego. It was a blend of American French. Very plush bed. Oh, I loved it! Down blanket, down quilt, down pillows! I felt like I was back in Europe. However there was NO room service. The only restaurant in the hotel has a French one and I didn't like the menu. So I got really clever for breakfast. I'd buy the food the night before, stick it in my room frig, and microwave it! I found a Ralph's store a couple blocks away.
I had to walk a block and a half to catch the shuttle that ran every day to take us to and from the Convention Center. That was wonderfully operated!
The first morning I got on the bus, I was introducing myself to the people on the bus. I like to talk! I asked one man where he was from. He said "Newfoundland". I said, the island or the mainland? He said Island. I said East side or West side? He said, East - St. John's! I said I spent three years in Stephensville. He said Earnest Harmon Air Force Base? I answer, YES! He is the first person in 41 years that actually knows that place! Anyway...he had quite the Irish accent. I remember growing up and learning Irish jigs, songs. We also learned a blend of Eskimo and French blends. Amazing funny place Newfoundland was...is.
I made reservations one evening at a nearby hotel to eat dinner by myself. I have eaten all my meals in my room with what I could find or at a fast food place. This time I was going to be brave and treat myself! So I went to check out the US Grant Hotel. This hotel was built by Ulysses S. Grant, Jr. (2nd son of the President) in memory of his father. It was built between 1905 and 1910. It was restored to its grandeur just two years ago. After looking around the lobby and checking out the menu, I made my reservation. Then I went on to my classes for the day at the Convention Center.
While walking through the Exhibit Hall a lady at a booth said to me, I know you! I turned around and it was Shannon Drake who used to be a teacher at Country Place Elem. School here in Littleton School District! She asked me if I'd like to go have dinner with her. I told her I already made reservations at this really nice place, she could come join me. So we agreed to meet the in lobby that evening.
Here is a photo of the outside of the US Grant hotel.
While I was waiting for Shannon to arrive, I called Curtis to tell him that we have to stay at this place when we come back to San Diego. I said it is soooooo beautiful! He said, "Go find out how much it is to stay there." So I went to the hotel desk and asked. The clerk said, "Would you like to see the rooms?" At that moment Shannon walked up. We had 15 min until dinner. I said, Sure! So he called Clifford (an elderly black gentleman who had been with the hotel for years) to give us a tour. What an amazing experience that was! He took us to three different rooms. Explained the paintings in the foyers, hallways, bronze statues, etc... The photo below is a regular room. The painting over the bed is different in every room. They are for sale. They range from $500 to $1600 a painting, each done by hand. Unique!
Since we still had 5 minutes, Clifford took us to see the ballrooms for wedding receptions, wedding ceremony, the old "speak easy ballroom" with secret door, the old gentleman's smoking room. He demonstrated the lighting from off to fully bright for the effect you would want. He told us about the duplicated silk wall-paper, white gold-leaf trim, marble floors...oh my oh my. We were in back hallways and all over this hotel! We stepped off an elevator and guess who we nearly ran into? John Cleese the actor and his handler. He is really tall...felt like 7'! I thought he was a basketball star. I had no idea who he was! I heard Shannon say as he stepped aside for us to get off... "I am a fan of your's." He didn't reply, but he heard. It was rather funny.
Then we went to the restaurant. This is a 5 star restaurant, so think....tiny displays of art on your plate...not volume. I had Scottish Salmon (had no idea other than Salmon) for $28. Shannon tried the "Taste of the Menu" for $40. It was a sampling of a lot of stuff. We shared everything. We felt like Cinderella!!!! We ate for 3 hours. They kept bringing extra stuff out and saying "Compliments of the Chef". I guess they were entertained over our pleasure of the experience! We even had dessert, then another desert variety tray "compliments of the chef". I have no idea how much the dinner was...but it had to be up there! We sat a table similar to the shown below.
Every day of the conference they had a General Session where all 9,000 attendees went. Each day was a different speaker. Saturday was Arnie Duncan, US Secretary of Education. He was good, spoke about 1/2 hour. Sunday was Toni Morrison, a pulitzer prize author (never heard of her). She rambled, only spoke 20 min. Then Monday was Julie Andrews! I thought to myself...please give her more than 20 minutes worth of time! She had 50 min. They showed clips of her career. I said 20 feet (front row) in front of her! She was beautiful, poised, genuine, and witty. Can you tell I was in awe! I became very emotional. Yea...me! I took my cell phone and tried to get photos. But they just don't turn out. This is a photo I found online. She actually was wearing this outfit when she spoke!
So, I had a fabulous time. Many classes were incredible. I can't wait to share some with my fellow board members. Now...back to real life.

5 comments:

trublubyu said...

that all sounds amazing!

so, how much was that room? your dinner sounds exquisite.

and julie andrews? wow! i love her.

Lauren said...

Sounds like such a great time!

Sandi and Curtis said...

The US Grant cheapest room is $198. The internet can get you $160 sometimes.

Linda said...

What a fun experience! You never cease to impress me with your community involvement.

Sarah said...

Amazing! Sounds like a lot of grown-up fun!