We were very blessed to have the opportunity to go to Teotihuacan (I have no idea how you say it!) with a guy from Curtis' office. He brought his girlfriend, and his brother and his wife and little boy. We spent all day sightseeing and walking!
Teotihuacan – also written Teotihuacán, with a Spanish orthographic accent on the last syllable – is an enormous archaeological site in the Basin of Mexico, just 30 miles northeast of Mexico City, containing some of the largest pyramidal structures built in the pre-Columbian Americas.
The name Teōtīhuacān was given by the Nahuatl-speaking Aztec centuries after the fall of the city. The term has been glossed as "birthplace of the gods", reflecting Nahua creation myths that were said to occur in Teotihuacan. Teotihuacān is a Nahuatl (Aztec) name meaning "place where gods were born". Nahuatl scholar interprets the name as "place of those who have the road of the gods." This is because the Aztecs believed that the gods created the universe at that site.
Apart from the pyramidal structures, Teotihuacan is also known for its large residential complexes, the Avenue of the Dead, and numerous colorful, well-preserved murals. Additionally, Teotihuacan produced a thin orange pottery style that spread through Mesoamerica.
The city is thought to have been established around 100 BC and continued to be built until about 250 AD. The city may have lasted until sometime between the 7th and 8th centuries AD. At its zenith, perhaps in the first half of the 1st millennium AD, Teotihuacan was the largest city in the pre-Columbian Americas, with a population of perhaps 125,000 or more, placing it among the largest cities of the world in this period. Teotihuacan began as a new religious center in the Mexican Highland around the first century AD. This city came to be the largest and most populated center in the New World. Teotihuacan was even home to multi-floor apartment compounds built to accommodate this large population. The civilization and cultural complex associated with the site is also referred to as Teotihuacan or Teotihuacano.
This is a photo of the Avenue of the Dead that runs down the center of the complex. You can see how large it was.
This is the Temple of the Moon, taken from the top of the Temple of the Sun. The Moon is a smaller pyramid but still difficult to climb!
Here Curtis is down in the middle of the complex.
The photo above and below are both in the Governmental Complex of these Pyramides. You can see how steep the stairs are and the intricate carvings and design on them.
I climbed down part way, then I got nervous (all right...scared!). The steps are literally straight up and very narrow. I bought me a hat (my only souvenir) to keep me from burning my head!
I was determined to climb to the top of the Temple of the Sun. I counted the steps. 250 total! Each step was about 10" tall. Fortunately there were two sections you could stop and rest. That made the climb much easier. You can see they had a cable up the center you could use to hang on to if you needed it. I found going down was a cinch! You just start (get up the momentum) and not think about it and just GO!
Here are more ruins. They were every where. So much stll undiscovered. Totally amazing!
I thought this cholla cactus was absolutely beautiful! It was in full bloom and very lovely!
After the walking for 6 hours in the sun and enjoying the sights, Jesus (pronouced Hay-sus) surprised us by taking us to a really cool restaurant for a 3:30 show and dinner! It was in a grotto. You can see the light coming in from outside. There were no other lights. They only serve food between noon and 4:30 and then they close! BUT, they had a floor show. It started with Aztec dancing. Men in (literally) loin cloths, and girls more covered dancing Aztec style, then the performance moved through the spanish era, into mexican style and it was all a folkorico presentation. Below is a short video where you can see the dancers.
When they were through, two men playing a big Harp he drug around and a guy on a violin played at each of the tables.
I asked Jesus what he was having and that I what I ordered. Chicken mole green and red. Had no idea what I was getting, but it was pretty good!
Here is Curtis and I with our meal. That glass is sparking mineral water with lime squeezed into it.
We then had a two hour drive back to the hotel. Traffic in Mexico City is major!
I asked Jesus what he was having and that I what I ordered. Chicken mole green and red. Had no idea what I was getting, but it was pretty good!
Here is Curtis and I with our meal. That glass is sparking mineral water with lime squeezed into it.
We then had a two hour drive back to the hotel. Traffic in Mexico City is major!


No comments:
Post a Comment