Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Extreme House Makeover

Those of you not on FaceBook...I am finally sitting down to blog about our two weeks in Nevada helping our kids renovate their new home they bought - it was a 1973 built home that had been foreclosed and sat empty 10 months!

This place needed work. But now that it is almost all done, it will be a beautiful home! It was a four bedroom...but all rooms were only 10 x 12! So the kids knocked out a wall between the master and other bedroom to make a decent master bedroom. I am posting 10 photos. Kind of the highlights. I'll make comments at each picture.

Curtis installed electrical plugs and wiring on the entire bedroom wing. He installed wiring for 3 ceiling fans (installed 2 of them), a new hall light with separate switch, and all the wiring for the new master bedroom, bathroom, and walk-in closet. In the Family Room there was this back door with a swamp cooler mounted in it! Totally DUMB! We removed the swamp, framed it in, and walled it up!


This shows the wall where the swamp used to be. Once painted...you'll never know!


The entry way had a solid piece of lineoleum that was curled up. We removed it. I primed the floor and then we layed new vinyl squares that look like ceramic tile! Hubby taught the kids "how to do" and they did.


This is the shower off the family room. This is the finished product. I stripped grout and mold off of their three bathrooms and re-grouted and sealed it all.

This is the bathroom off of the family room.

This is part of the family room. I did all the prime painting and triming around doors, plugs, outlets, corners, ceilings...This corner...was a fiasco! I was painting behind the TV area and as I went to stand up, my left thigh caught the lip of the tv stand and paint went flying over my head and hit the wall . See that big splash of paint?!! Well...the rest was all over me. Too bad we didn't have a photo of that! Took the 3 of them with turpentine cleaning up out on that patio you see to the left! It all came out of my clothes!

This is where we are constructing the master walk-in closet. Daughter became the expert in measuring and cutting drywall while the guys screwed the panels to the walls!

This is the master bath before renovation. See the sink in the bedroom and NOT in the bathroom? That sink cabinet is now history, and the wall goes around the entire bathroom. We added a medicine cabinet in the wall. The door to the left of the sink in the photo was the old door way into the master bedroom. That is now a solid wall.
I scrubbed every corner of the inside of the house on my hands and knees. I also 409-ed every wall and door in the house. The garage to laundry room door was black when when I started. Now it looks new! Plus...no germs! I swept around the entire outside of the house with a broom and dustpan. The weeds were so dry that the broom worked like a rake! There are now no bugs or cobwebs anywhere! It truly did a number on my asthma! I should have taken my nebulizer with me.
The kids just have to finish mudding the master walls and painting. The two kids bedrooms had new carpet layed in there on Tuesday this week. So it is coming along. Can't wait to go back and enjoy the house and have fun with the kids and NOT work!

7 comments:

Sharron said...

Wow, will you adopt me? that was a lot of work, but it is a good way to get into a house without going over board on the mortgage. Know your kids, I know they appreciate all your work!

Jessica said...

Wow! That's a lot of work!!

Sharron said...

BTW Don't tell my kids for Pete's sake! Don't want them to any ideas!! Too much left to do on my own house ;>]

Spencer and Audrey said...

Looks like you have reason to be tired! Next time you are there you better be given the B&B treatment for all your hard work! Looks great!

Sandi and Curtis said...

Yes, a lot of hard work...but so rewarding. They got a great deal on the house! The house appraised for nearly $50k more than they bought it for....before we upgraded it all!

Joni said...

Wow! You are quite the handymen/women. How nice you know how to do all of that stuff, you sure save a lot of money. We had another person go through our attic which means another whole in the ceiling. This is the third time! Everytime we have to call and have someone come and repair it. Maybe I should learn how myself!

Sandi and Curtis said...

The trick in the attic...NEVER walk on anything that isn't a beam!!! Only insulation and drywall is in between.